Become a Mentor
We welcome community members to act as positive adult role models
and provide guidance to youth when it comes to school, careers and life.
F.A.C.E.S. Mentoring Program, provides a mentor to youth aged 12 to 21. The mentor acts as a role model to talk to and share the experience of growing up. Through regular outings, a strong relationship built on trust and common interests is developed between the mentor and the mentee.
Throughout the relationship, both mentor and mentee are supported by experienced Mentoring Coordinators. The experience allows both mentor and child to experience a relationship that will likely change both their lives.
What Makes a Good Mentor
Before becoming a mentor, here are a few things to understand about the role of mentoring. Most of us have had a teacher, supervisor, or coach who has been a mentor to us and made a positive difference in our lives. Those people wore many hats, acting as delegates, role models, cheerleaders, policy enforcers, advocates, and friends. Mentors assume these different roles during the course of a relationship, and share some basic qualities:
- A sincere desire to be involved with a young person
- Respect for young people
- Active listening skills
- Ability to see solutions and opportunities
Mentoring relationships are a shared opportunity for learning and growth. Many mentors say that the rewards they gain are as substantial as those for their mentees, and that mentoring has enabled them to:
- Have fun
- Achieve personal growth and learn more about themselves
- Improve their self-esteem and feel they are making a difference
- Gain a better understanding of other cultures and develop a greater appreciation for diversity
- Feel more productive and have a better attitude at work
- Enhance their relationships with their own children
Above all, a good mentor is willing to take the time to get to know their mentee, to learn new things that are important to the young person, and even to be changed by their relationship.
YOUR GIFT UNLOCKS A YOUNG PERSON’S POTENTIAL
- Provide boys and girls with a role model and a friend.
- Help youths realize the importance of staying in school and build healthy relationships with their family and their peers. Help inspire self-confidence and trust in others so the child learns to make good decisions.
- Encourage leadership and independent thinking.
- Make a difference in the life of a child while having fun.
How to apply
We carefully screen every applicant and pair successful candidates with youth based on compatibility and need. If you’re interested in becoming a mentor, please fill out our volunteer form.